Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Australian PM no Obama fan...

So in case you were as bombarded as I was by the intense "Obama-mania" coverage of Barak Obama's announcement speech (BTW--in case you didn't hear, Obama is the new "Abraham Lincoln"), Australian Prime Minister John Howard made comments to the tune of Al Qaeda terrorists would be praying for Obama and Democrats like him to win the 2008 Presidential election. Of course, certain media outlets overplayed this story, which wasn't that different from the many European leaders who made anti-Bush comments or came out in support of Kerry in '04. Yet, I think deep down, many people realize Howard is right, whether or not the Democrats are trying their best to do what they think is right, the perception is that the U.S. is weak, and Democratic actions to pull out of Iraq or close Guantanamo Bay serve only to embolden the terrorists. Regardless of what you think about the war (a lot of mistakes have been made, and I'm not sure as to whether we will succeed) the overall foreign policy of the Democratic Party is inconsistent with promoting our interests and those of our allies.

John Howard, however is in the midst of his own re-election campaign as he tries for a 5th term as Australia's PM. Locally, these comments will probably hurt him rather than help him, as his Labor Party opponent is currently leading in the polls.
Australia has been a steadfast ally of the U.S. in Iraq and Afghanistan, and its 2000 troops in Iraq is representative of its small population (20 million) and Obama should not belittle that contribution. Of course, Obama is the same person who earlier in the week called the death of our troops in Iraq "a waste." How comforting to their families.

This photo shows Obama conspiring with our very own Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill (OK, just kidding..."sharing information" with Claire).

1 comment:

Federalist said...

Here in lies my struggle.

Obviously, I am conservative and would likely never vote for a Democrate (at least there is nobody on the democratic side that I would seriously consider....now if Joe Lieberman ran, I might).

Obama seems like a relatively nice guy. I have enjoyed his somewhat upbeat approach to things. I think we need that. I don't agree with many things he has said in the past, but he has rarely said anything that really scares me (and he certainly does not come off like Hillary/Shrillary does with her pointed angry demanding statements).

I worry that Obama will decend into the muck of presidential politics.

I hated what the dems did in 2004 when they put together their gang of 12 or so (John Kerry, Dennis K., Al Sharpton, Howard "I hate republicans" Dean.....all of them claiming to be uniters, unless they don't win).

We had to endure a 15 month grind of "Why we hate George Bush". Never was I so happy for something to end than I was in Nov 2004 for the election to be OVER.

Now we are into it for almost two years (it really started before Nov 2006) and I am not looking forward to 21 more months of seeing these people on TV, in magazines, etc.

I hope Obama can keep it real, but I am afraid he is not experienced enough to know how to do that. And so he will become like the rest of them (with the notable and welcome exception of John Kerry....may Ted Kennedy take him on a ride some day).

And I have little hope for the GOP in this regard.

Once again, I call for the repeal of the 17th and the return to days when the Govenor of your state was more important than the President of the U.S. in terms of your immediate interests.

SLW