Saturday, March 04, 2006

Hangin' with the governors

This past Monday I had the opportunity to volunteer at the Republican Governors Association, the big event that all the GOP governors across the nation attend and major donors. Over $9.6 million was raised at this $1000 a plate dinner for the campaigns of the governors up for re-election later this year. For us volunteers, free food, free alcoholic drinks, and getting up close to President Bush as he gave the keynote address made this night all worth it. Being able to converse with many governors, from Ehrlich of Maryland to Romney of Massachusetts was also a plus (sidenote--I chatted with Gov. Hoeven of North Dakota for 15 minutes before I even knew who he was--he's such a humble, inconspicuous guy! Gov. Mike Huckabee of Ark. also talked to us volunteers for a long time--prez in 2008 anyone?)

This happened to be only the 2nd time in 40 years my home state of Kansas happens to have a Dem. governor in office, but I met and had my pic taken with Matt Blunt of Missouri, the next best thing. And I was recruited to come and work on Jim Talent's re-election campaign this summer. That's going to be fun. God knows that the Republicans are going to need all the help they can get this time around...

No comments: